Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"Black Hollywood"

So this is actually from a conversation started on facebook... I'll put up my status and a few comments from my friends on the book. Enjoy... give feedback. God Bless.

Tyler Perry Movies "I love Em".. Question Is this.. Since his movies ALWAYS have the Black Knight in shining armor to save these broke down sisters... Should there be a better portrayal strong sisters who don't need a man to overcome? Secondly, Does the "Black Knight in Armor" really set up a False Hope for sisters looking for such a guy?

Joe L. Turley at 4:25pm April 27
I don't eff with Tyler Perry, except for Daddy's Little Girls... That movie was acceptable. Anything with Madea or of those neck snapping jigaboos just makes me mad. Hooray for hegemony!


Damon Gibbs at 4:47pm April 27
most of his vilms are geared towards women...showing them a reflection of themselves and helpingthe realize that they are precious and to be valued. but he loves to have fun while being serious...I think he is a genius


Stacey Gates at 5:05pm April 27
Totally agree with Damon. Tyler Perry is genius. Clearly people who only see "neck snapping jiggaboos" don't get the totality of what Tyler Perry is doing, and that some of his same characters are in our families, whether we like it or not - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

1 comment:

  1. wWhile I enjoy his movies, I do find myself somewhat embarassed when I watch the Madea character. She's hilarious,true. But it's that type of buffoonery that makes people outside our race misunderstand us. Have you ever had a conflict with a white person and you can literally see them gear up for the "ignorance?" And when you do speak with some type of intelligence they are surprised? We dont always behave like Madea, they sometimes assume we do.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback...